Sunday, July 3, 2011

First Impressions...

After my 14 hour flight on Korean air in my small coach seat and many movies I have made it to South Korea. My knight in shining armor, Dennis, was at the airport waiting patiently for me as I got my luggage and went through customs. Now I have been in Korea for a whole weekend and let me tell you a little bit about my adventures so far. Dennis and I are living on base in a small city called Uijeongbu, which is about 45 minutes north of Seoul. We took a bus to the city and I have already figured out here that the public transportation around here is amazing. There are buses that will take you anywhere in town or on the peninsula you would like to go. Cabs are also very abundant. Just be ready if you take one….they see red lights more like stop signs and will run them if they feel necessary. As for what the cities look like. If you think of China town in New York City and just imagine the entire city looking like that. Huge lit up signs, with big Korean characters, for every business and usually anime characters on everything. Overall, not the prettiest place to live. Fortunately, the base, yet small, is nice and is surrounded by some beautiful mountains, which is probably the most redeeming quality of the Korean landscape.

These first couple of days here have been hard to adjust with the huge time change. We are thirteen hours ahead of ET time in America. Like a friend of mine told me, we are in the future here. I have been sleeping pretty well through the night but waking up a little too early. Because of this I might take a nap or two during the day. Dennis likes to call me the “bed sloth” since all I seem to do is lie in bed and wake up only for workouts and feeding times. As for my living quarters….they are very tiny and Dennis was kind enough to make some space for me in the closet and drawers. I am sure he was so excited about that. Thankfully there is a sufficient amount of storage space for me to fit all my clothes that I bought over. This makes a girl very happy : )

I have eaten a couple meals since I have been to Korea and if you can believe it I have even had chicken fingers with french fries at the bases bowling alley. I had my first Korean bbq my second night in town which was very tasty. They actually cook the meat at the table on a mini grill and then you wrap it with some rice in a lettuce leaf. Add some Korean bbq sauce and you have a very tasty lettuce wrap. As for the famous cabbage dish called Kimchi…not going to be a favorite of mine. We have also eaten at a Chinese restaurant and even a German restaurant (Which was nothing like the real thing and didn’t even have Wiener schnitzel…very disappointing). They did have a really amazing chicken teriyaki pizza that Dennis got. Not really sure how that is German but it was delicious.  Overall, I am excited to try new things but I am happy that I will always have the option of popeyes on base : )

I hope everybody has a great 4th of July. Dennis and I will be heading down to Osan Air Force base to celebrate the holiday. Should be a good time since they will be having a fireworks show in the evening. I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July weekend celebrating in the States. I miss you all. 

Love,
Bre

PS-Below is a map of South Korea...you can find the city Dennis and I are living in just north of Seoul. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Love y'all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Breanna, looking forward to more descriptions, of what most of us in the US consider to be an estranged and/or exotic place.

    ReplyDelete