Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shop until you drop!

This week while Dennis was at work I decided to take a little shopping trip with my friend Yuan down to Seoul. There is shopping mecca down there called the Dongdaemun Market. This market has 26 shopping malls situated over 10 blocks which specialize mostly in clothes, shoes, fabrics, and leather goods. It was traditionally a night market but now is open 18 1/2 hours a day with some stores that are open 24 hours a day. We took the subway down there Wednesday afternoon and I didn't realize the magnitude of this shopping experience. Each shopping mall, as far as I can tell, has little booths set up next to each other that cover the entire floor of the building. There is no wasted space with every inch being taken up by clothes. The first shopping mall we visited had 3 floors of just women's clothing. Then there was also an accessories floor, shoe floor, men's clothing floor, and children's floor. And this is just what I saw. So here I am in my natural habitat of shopping and I am in heaven. One nice perk about Dongdaemun is that you can bargain shop. A lot of times you can get them to go 4,000 or 5,000 won (four or five dollars) lower than the listed price which is already a pretty good deal. Plus, there are a lot of booths with $10 dollar items. The ladies that run those booths don't kid around though, they will always make deals with you if you walk away not accepting their final offer and they will try to make you happy with a better compromise. The one sad realization I had in Dongdeamun is that most of the clothes are not going to fit a 5'9'' girl with some curves. I went to a bathing suit booth and the lady flat out told me that the bathing suits would be too small for my size...haha! With this knowledge, I made sure the two purchases that I made were stretchy material because most of the clothes are one size fits all. And that's one size fits all is made for a small Korean women not your typical American girl. With no dressing rooms and no returning the items I took a gamble but thankfully when I got home both of my dresses fit.

My favorite item that I saw was not the little school girl outfits or the fake victoria secret pink items it was the underwear with padding in the butt region. I thought I should purchase some to enhance my features. LOL!

I hope you all are having a great week and have a great weekend too. Maybe even some of you will go shopping at a mall in my honor this weekend. We will be heading to a Rugby tournament Dennis is playing in this weekend. I think I'm going to be nervous watching the entire time hoping that he doesn't get injured. Pray for him : )

Miss you all,
Breanna

No comments:

Post a Comment