Monday, August 20, 2012

Quakes and Lanterns



Konichiwa! 

Konichiwa! I hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend! We have been trying to enjoy the summer months in here in Japan as much as possible and this week was no different. Let's get you up to date on what we have been up to : )

Here in Japan earthquakes are common occurrences. From what I have heard there are a can be a couple earthquakes a month. Since we have arrived in Japan we actually have had two earthquakes. One big one and a smaller one that you didn't really even notice. I would say that I experienced my first earthquake but that is not entirely true. The bigger one measured a 7.3 magnitude and was in the Southern Sea of Ohotsk . Dennis was at work, and felt it, but I was mowing the lawn and didn't feel a thing. I think with the bumpiness of pushing a mower along I could not tell the ground was shaking....haha!  I'm not going to worry too much because I am sure I will feel plenty in the future. Hopefully, not any scary ones.

Big Buddha
This past Thursday I was invited by the wives of the squadron to go to a Seiryu-ji Buddhist Temple to commerate the beginning of the Obon festival. This is a three day festival in Japan which honors their ancestors. During this time, many Japanese return to their home towns and visit ancestors graves. At the end of the three day festival paper lanterns are lit and floated down the river symbolically showing the spirits returning to the land of the dead. The temple we visited had hundreds of lanterns around the grounds in honor of the festival. All I know is I would not want to be the person that had to go around and light each one of these candles. The temple looked beautiful with all the lanterns and the Big Buddha lit up. There was also a special ceremony by the monks and were praying in a Georgian chant like manner. It was neat to get to participate in such an important holiday in the Japanese culture. 

Monks performing special ceremony for Obon Festival 
Big Buddha all lit up! 

I hope everyone has a great Monday! And to all my teacher friends in Florida....enjoy your first day of school!

Until next time....
Breanna

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how awesome was that!!! Hopefully, those earthshakes don't knock you off your feet like Dennis did.
    Love from that NOLA mom

    ReplyDelete