Sunday, November 27, 2011

Turkey and Tea

I like to first start off by saying that I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! This Thanksgiving was the first that Dennis and I were able to celebrate together which was really nice. Though it was sad to be away from our family and friends and I would of loved to be eating Turkey at the South Carolina Lake House we still had a wonderful time. The Officers of the squadron got Thanksgiving catered and to my surprise the food was actually very tasty (of course, not as good as your mom). We had the normal Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and there we also many tasty treats for after dinner. We all got our into the buffet line and brought our turkey into one of the rooms with a projector and watched Wall-E and then Elf. It was a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving. Seeing that Dennis and I will be in Japan I think we will be doing something like this probably for the next three years. Maybe next year I will even be brave and attempt to make my own Thanksgiving dinner.

The weekend after Thanksgiving Dennis and I went down to Seoul and visited a district called Insa-dong (인사동). It is a culturally rich area of Seoul and has a lot of stores with traditional clothing, paintings, crafts, and pottery. There is even a row of about 20 fortune tellers who all have their own tents set up to read your palms or cards. It is also known for having some famous tea houses. Dennis and I checked out a local tea house called the O'sulloc Tea House. There I had some of the best tea of my life. It was a honey milk tea and it was to die for. Probably pretty fattening but so worth it. Dennis and I also got some little desserts. I had square pieces of chocolate with a powered coating of green tea. The powered green tea was interesting and not my favorite but the chocolate inside was amazing. This district is a place I would love to go back to again.

At the tea house.

My amazing tea

Dennis being so proper.

Dennis and I ended the night with a trip to one of his favorite places in Seoul called the Craftworks Taphouse. It is one of the only microbreweries in South Korea and I have to say the beer is pretty tasty. It was the bars one year anniversary and they were having a raffle. For every beer or cocktail you bought your name got put into a drawing for a free trip to Balli. We wanted that free trip to Bali and decided the only way to win was to drink more : ) Sadly,They drew the winners last night and neither Dennis or I was contacted but at least we enjoyed lots of tasty beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment